Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Story 3 by Jenna Hawkins

Texas State University has marked its 16th consecutive year in setting a new record for the school’s enrollment, with a fall semester enrollment of 35,568 students in 2013.

“We take our role in preparing the next-generation work force in Texas very seriously, so it is gratifying to see that so many incoming students are choosing to attend Texas State,” President Denise M. Trauth said in a statement. “This new high in student enrollment demonstrates that Texas State continues to be a leading university in the state, and that students and their families recognize our institution offers both an outstanding educational experience as well as an exceptional value.”

Though the school officials are pleased with the school’s growing population, the students have mixed feelings regarding the rising numbers.

Many of the students said the school needs to accommodate its parking options with the amount of new students coming in every year.

"This is my first semester with a parking pass but I can never find a spot," said senior Chris Chaney. “I hate getting around campus.”

Senior Frankie Dimento said the increase in enrollment has affected him.

"Parking has become more difficult and campus is more crowded,” said Dimento.

While the growing number of students benefits the school’s reputation, the increase in students has caused changes in some degree plans.

"It has affected me since I'm a graphic design student...They're forcing us to go through a program to assess if we're, like, good enough,” said sophomore Danielle Green. Though this will add a couple more years to her degree plan, she said she feels she made the right choice in attending Texas State.

Many students agreed the size of the school had no effect on their decision to attend Texas State.

“I actually didn't realize how many students came here. I just came here for my major,” said Tyler Stevenson.

Junior Stephen Torres said he didn’t know how many students attended Texas State until he arrived.

 “It wasn't until I got here that I realized how many people actually go here,” he said.

While many of the students had different opinions on the student growth, they all had one thing in common: their love for the school.

"I love it here. Everyone is so nice," said junior Kelsey Jendrusch. "I see a lot of people I know on campus since the amount of students is still relatively small."

Fellow student Lilly Woldehawariat shares Jendrusch’s love for the school.

"I really enjoy it here. It is one of the best decisions I have ever made," said Woldehawariat.

Chris Chaney e_b69@txstate.edu
Tyler Stevenson Ts1449@txstate.edu
Lilly Woldehawariat llw87@txstate.edu
Stephen Torres  s_t91@txstate.edu
Kelsey Jendrusch kmj2@txstate.edu
Frankie Dimento
Danielle Green jdg126@txstate.edu
Jayme Blaschke University news service


No comments:

Post a Comment